Dwarves, sometimes called the Stout Folk, are a natural humanoid race common throughout parts of Toril. Dwarves are a tough, tradition-abiding folk known for their strong martial traditions and beautiful craftsmanship.
In broad strokes, the major migration was westward from the Great Rift to Shanatar leading to the establishment of shield dwarves a seperate subrace. High and Deep Shanatar encompassed the lands and Underdark of Calimshan, Tethyr, and Amn. From there, the next wave went northwards to found Oghrann and Haunghandaar (sp?). From Oghrann, they went north to found Gharraghaur. From Gharraghaur, they went east to found Delzoun and southeast to found Besilmer. From Besilmer they went east to found Ammardinar. After the fall of Delzoun, they went south to found Dardath (Forlorn Hills), which in turn led to the founding of Hunnabar (mostly under Dragonspear Castle).
There exist several dwarven subraces. The best known are listed below.
- Arctic dwarves
- Squat and hardy dwarves from the isolated northern reaches of Faerûn.
- Hill dwarves
- Strong and muscular dwarves with tanned skin from the south, largely in the Great Rift area.
- Mountain dwarves
- Tall dwarves, by comparison, who populate the northern reaches of west and central Faerûn.
- Urdunnir dwarves
- Stocky and muscular dwarves living in the Underdark.
- Wild dwarves
- Primitive dark-skinned dwarves primarily from the jungles of Chult.
- Degenerate creatures with human features.
- Duergar are a closely related race of humanoids, but separated from generations of divergence and slavery under the illithids. They hold themselves to be a seperate race completely, and are often insulted if compared to surface dwarves.