Acorn has tangled, fiery red hair and striking green eyes, which stare out intently from a narrow, dirt-smudged face. A handful of freckles are scattered across his upper cheeks and nose, mostly hidden beneath the smudges of mud.
His dire rat companion, Barnabas, is a sleek black animal, perhaps three feet from nose to tail-tip, and is far better groomed than Acorn.
Gnome Traits (Ex): Gnomes possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Constitution, –2 Strength.
- Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
- A gnome’s base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-light vision.
- Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
- Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds, goblinoids, orcs, and reptilian humanoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
- +4 racial bonus on Hide checks, which improves to +8 in a wooded area.
- A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
- Pass without Trace (Su): A forest gnome has the innate ability to use pass without trace (self only, as a free action) as the spell cast by a druid of the forest gnome’s class levels.
- Automatic Languages: Gnome, Elven, Sylvan, and a simple language that enables them to communicate on a very basic level with forest animals (this replaces the rock gnome’s speak with animals ability). Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc. This trait replaces the rock gnome’s automatic and bonus languages.
- Favored Class: Bard.